How to keep your kids safe online
kids safe online – The Internet offers a lot of benefits but when it comes to children, parents have a lot of work to do. Despite all the advantages of the internet, there are also disadvantages. Are you a parent of a child who will soon start using the internet? You already know that internet allows children to keep up-to-date on the news, communicate with friends and also research for their school project.
Unfortunately, the internet can be dangerous. So it is the responsibility of parents to make sure their kids safe online. But to do this, you need to know your way around the internet and a computer. As a parent, you need to be smart because children learn faster nowadays. It won’t do you any good if your children can find their ways around your parental control. That is why you need to know how to use a computer.
If your child uses a social networking site or chat rooms, you already understand that it is easy to create a fake identity. You have read and watched the news of kidnapped children that are connected to the internet but probably thinking it can never happen to your child. Well, you never know when it can happen, which is why you need to understand how the internet works.
With a few easy steps, you can easily block certain websites from your child, using Internet Explorer free parental control. But if you don’t know much about the internet, this can prove to be difficult to do.
4 reasons why the internet can be dangerous for your child
- It is easy to create a false identity to lure your child into dangerous things
- There are internet predators who can harm your child
- Your child can gain access to pornographic sites, chat rooms, social networking sites and sites that are violent in nature
- Not all information is private. Most of our children don’t set what they do online to private, therefore giving a stranger access to their information. If you fail to use strong parental control, this can result in a big problem
How to know when your child gets in trouble online?
- He/she gets on the computer at the same time every day
- Secretive when using the computer
- Happy when getting off the computer
- Looks depressed when getting off the computer
How to protect your child online?
- Start discussing online safety at an early age
- Tell your child to not do what they will not do face to face online.
- Teach them to beware of strangers bearing gifts
- Be vigilant and monitor what you can
- Don’t just tell them the rules; spend time with them while they are on the internet
- If your child is on social media, make sure you are one of his friends
- Don’t allow your child to download anything except you know about it. They may download malicious items that can cause harm to our computer.
- Don’t allow your child to be addicted to the internet, else they will not take any other thing serious – including the education.
- Let them know that whatever they put on the internet will be there forever.
What should you do if your child is not following the rules?
Let them know the consequences of their actions. If you suspect your child is talking to strangers online, you can ban him from using the internet. You can also block the site you want to keep your child away from.
Do you know how to use parental control to protect your child on the internet? We can help you.
Give us a call today for a free consultation – 786.422.0705